Sunday, June 7, 2009

Training today

Had a fun o session this morning. The aim was to really focus on executing my plan and being in control of my direction. Secondary to this i wanted a fast hit out which had the potential for some fast legs if the navigation was clicking.

So with that in mind I searched my old map box and found some maps from the Royal Rogaine Loops Race from a couple of Queens Birthdays ago. I had 3 loops from that race and planned to do them back to back and build up the speed as i went. I have scanned in one of the maps and put it below.




On this particular course I swung off the track so that i didn't just track run on the way to 1. High point just south west of the control was attack point. No problems. Two was red line using the green strip hilltop to confirm distance. Three got me swinging left, i wanted to try and bounce in off the hill by the track, a little indecisive cost me seconds. Four was compass with head up looking for clearing shape. Five, I didnt initially like the look of the detail to the north of the line, but i wanted to stay in the white. Tried to simplify, using the hill to my left as a guide. So open that using detail was unnecesary. Up the small spur under the redline and up into the control. Lost some time on the way to six, getting pushed off line by boxthorn and flax. Stayed left of the line and into the control through the line of u depressions. Vege boundary to finish. Next loop.

I found the dunes most challenging, couldn't quite get enough confidence to really push the speed. The lack of big features in the white was probably the biggest challenge. Made it hard to pick a strong feature and really be positive i was coming up on the correct feature and not drifting in the last 50m or so. Guess that's the difficulty of not having controls out.

Was a beaut morning and a great way to start my Sunday. Not really Italy specific, but getting some o in which i'm happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment