Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Queens Birthday, Tom's view

A weekend of rain, mud and freezing cold weather. The mighty Waikato really was true to form. The weather map have been rubbish but the o was hot. The rocks of Wharepapa were perfect for starting to switch the mind into rock-o mode.

The middle on the first day was for me pretty good. Under coaches orders to take it easy up hills I began focused on my navigation. Ensuring i was executing my plan and being decisive in the control circle. I let this occupy my mind too much at times as I lost time needlessly in a couple of pieces of detail by not taking simple, cleaner option. The rock was tricky in places, especially descending as features were often concealed. Toby was fastest out of the boys team, putting 10 seconds on me with a minute or so back to the others. Darren added to his Superseries lead with another win.



How we do icebaths at NZ orienteering

I didn't run the night event, still watching my shins, and personally i preferred watching lights bobbing through the rain from the warmth of my 5 layers within a nice waterproof raincoat and pair of overtrousers. After getting all warm and dry listening to Brent's cool adventure racing presentation, everyone going back out into the cold and dark to run deserves a pat on the back (maybe i'm just soft).

The next morning was a long on the same map. My plan for this race was to nail the nav while managing my shins. I did the initial short legs fast then eased off for our longer route choice legs. The terrain was really good for practicing simplification within rock fields. I tried to pick a key feature and focus on shutting other rock detail out. Still needs some practice, but got some improvement throughout the course. I took a short cut to keep my run at about 60mins and jogged back to see how everyone else fared on the course. Toby was again top JWOC boy. Good signs so close to leaving time. Darren and Lizzie, both basically winners before the weekend started, clinched their respective Superseries titles. Proving the need for not only consistency but the ability to win multiple races in the title race.




Thanks to Lizzie and Tessa for their photos and no thanks to Telecom for switching us down to dial up internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment