Sunday, June 7, 2009

Queens Birthday, Angela's view


Angela in action at JWOC 2008

Wow. What a fun weekend of orienteering. Despite the cold, sometimes damp weather I had a very enjoyable time. Thank you to the organisers.

The first three events were held at Wharepapa South, and lead us over broad farmland and into many tricky patches of limestone rock. An excellent area for final JWOC training.

I was reasonably happy with my run on the middle distance. Although I was slightly too hesitant at times and not careful enough reading the rock detail, especially around number 12. I went too far , crossed an extra fence, then realised as I turned around and spotted the control and had to climb back over. Meanwhile, I was almost caught back up by Tessa and Claire whom I had passed earlier.

I learnt from these mistakes and orienteered much better the next day. It helps to focus all your time on navigation and planning ahead so you can flow around the course, rather than running hard out and then being unsure coming into the control. As I was planning ahead a tricky decision was which way to go to number 12. The first option I saw was over the spur and up the stream. But sometimes following along a stream is rough and slow. Next I saw the track option out to the left, fast running to the top of the hill then attack down the spur from the water trough, but this might be too far round. I was near control 11 and had almost decided on the stream option when I spotted another choice. Over a saddle, contour around to the right, up the re entrant and then up to the control checking off the single trees on the way. This looked like smooth running. Georgia was also just leaving the control heading for the stream so it was a good chance to compare routes. We met near the single trees at the bottom of the valley about the same time, but my direction allowed for a smoother angle into the control, easier running than straight uphill. This could be something useful to remember for Italy and incorporate when planning route choice; it is easier to keep running when contouring gradually than trying to push it straight up.

Heading into the final race of the junior super series, a mass start at Aramiro, Georgia and I were very close with points. I was able to stay with the front group, but coming up the hill towards number 6 I was slightly too far left. Everyone else spotted the control in the depression but I didn't see it and after only a short time finding it the others were long gone. I tried hard to keep going the rest of the course hoping to somehow catch up but I had wasted too much time. A fun race though with plenty of deep swamps. I thought I might lose my favourite INOV-8 shoe in the sticky goo. Just as well it was tied on tight. Overall in the super series I came second for junior women.

Check out the course at:

http://www.routechoice.co.nz/gadget/cgi-bin/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=37&kieli=

No comments:

Post a Comment