Thursday, May 14, 2009

Keeping the motivation...

2 hours of mindless lectures to finish the day, spent wishing I had just gone early. Finish uni just after 4. Straight to the bike to get changed and head out training. Forgot my drink bottle, guess I'm going to be thirsty, but at least I've got my arm warmers, it's chilly. Check the program for what I'm doing and out into the traffic. I'm riding in my bubble trying to focus on cadence, on heart rate and not get killed. The traffic is doing all it can to distract me; it ebbs and flows around me, sweeping past in vigourous pulses. Waves of colour blur past, the wind buffets me. No worries, I can balance and I use assertiveness to make it through safe. I hit Scenic Drive, it's my place now, the traffic subsides and i can focus on my legs, on my lungs and my training.

But this is too easy, or so The Man thinks, the rain starts to bucket down. It doesn't bother me, I'm in my element. The squalls follow me like a shadow as i tap out a high tempo effort up to Shaw Road. It helps me forget I'm thirsty and washes away the stresses of today. For now it's me and the tarmac.

Hissss..... In desperation The Man has hit me where I'm weakest, and punctured me as I'm on the verge of training zen. No worries. I'm prepared. 10 minutes to reflect and steel my determination for the rest of the session. The last minutes of sun keep me warm as I slot the wheel back in, switch on the lights and pedal off again, focussed on my cadence, my heart rate and the road ahead. Tom 3, The Man 0.

Gracious in defeat the rain is stopped and the traffic has been placated. I've passed his challenges and I'm free to finish off my session. The burning in my legs as I finish the last effort is the immediate reward for my resilience. The satisfaction as I roll into the garage; wet, cold and tired will let me sleep well tonight.

Keep it up guys, it is all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Thats beautiful Tom, but why is it a man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha awesome creative writing there Tom... lovely and descriptive!

    ReplyDelete